Sunday, May 15, 2011
Row cover review & update
I started the spring hunting for more economical alternatives to row covers. You see these things in garden magazines, seed catalogs; half moon shaped wire covered with cloth. They are placed over crops to warm the soil in the spring, extend the season in the fall, and protect the crop from insects. Sounds good, right? Only trouble is, they are expensive. I decided to buy yards of cheesecloth, drape it around the plants, using left over wooden stakes from an old fence to hold it up, plus clothes pins and landscape fabric pins to hold it all in place. The good news; it is working like a charm! It has kept out bugs and rabbits, too. But after being in the garden in all weathers, it is starting to unravel in places, and I suspect it will not last more than one season. Here's hoping!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment