So yesterday I gathered the first real harvest in the garden. A basket full of lettuce, all plucked from the outside leaves so there is plenty more where that came from. This stuff is so tender, sweet, and gorgeous that I could honestly have eaten the whole basket full in one sitting. The most successful are the ones from a variety pack entitled "mescalin," so what I really got was a variety of lettuces unaffordable in the grocery store. Looking them up, I find I have Mizuna,Oak Leaf, Arugula,and Ruby. I also have Boston, Iceberg,and Romaine in another row. Plus, I got a few small spinach leaves, too. Last week, I started some more baby lettuce indoors to see if I could get another crop in before the heat of summer comes. If not, I can eat the sprouts,call them micro greens, and feel like a real gourmet!

No comments:
Post a Comment