Sunday, May 1, 2011

Gardener's brains

Even though I have had some type of vegetable garden of my own for many years now, in some ways,I feel like a beginning gardener. Take for example,roses. I don't grow them. They are beautiful, and I especially love the fragrant varieties, but after reading about the maintenance...diseases, planing requirements, varieties,and so on, I am still too intimidated to give them a try. I am already busy with my yard; my veggie garden, my much smaller kitchen herb garden, my few flower beds, and my fruit trees keep me busy already. Plus I am still working on clearing the outer edges near our fence, which were overgrown with mysterious vicious leafless sticker vines when we came to this house 20 years ago. These things are pure evil,whatever they are, and have caused many a wicked cut. So I have avoided roses.
All this is by way of saying that it is easy to be intimidated when beginning to garden. And it doesn't help that the image of gardening is so-what's the word- uncool? Gardeners are dirt poor hippies, or rich yuppie hobbyists, or garden club geniuses. They use Latin, for goodness sake. They have gardener's brains. A beginning gardener can feel as if there is too much to learn, and that it is impossible to succeed with out encyclopedic knowledge and an infinite budget. But as someone I know recently pointed out, they are only plants, after all. If they don't work, you can throw them out, learn a little, and try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment