Today I put in some lettuce ,cabbage,spinach, and Brussels sprouts. I was going to grow my own by seed as I have done in past years, but time got away from me. At least I bought locally grown plants, so I am still gmo free.
The planting went fine, but my little herb garden near the kitchen door had a sudden death . My huge rosemary plant bit the dust, done in by our dog, who persisted in peeing on it. I did not fence off the herbs, because they are near our back porch, which said doggie uses as a refuge from the sun. He is only forgiven because he is a good hunter of rabbits, voles, and guards the garden vigorously. ( don't worry, he is mostly preventative). Why he doesn't kill off the jungle of weeds along our fence is a mystery.
So I am on the lookout for a large container to heave onto the porch for a new rosemary bush, and some other herbs. An old wheelbarrow is the prime candidate, if I can figure out drainage. Gardening, at least the way I do it, is much like improvisation. Luckily, there are many much wiser people than I who provide knowledge from their years of experience and prevent most disasters. The dog is not their fault.
No comments:
Post a Comment