The TV has actually mentioned an upcoming garden disaster-in-the-making. Apparently,we are due for a 17 year cycle of locusts (somebody call Moses) in the northeast. ....I don't know what chemical gardeners are doing, but I am getting prepared the natural way.
I am making some more of my own row covers. Get some half inch PVC pipe, and saw it into 3 sections (or whatever length will get you even pieces with no waste). Then, get some 3/4 inch PVC
these are pretty cheap already cut into two inch long pieces). Then placing the end of a thiner long piece inside the bigger short one, drill a hole through both big enough for any size bolt you have around. Repeat for the other side.
Pound the short pieces across from each other along your beds or rows, and insert one end of a long piece, fasten it in. Wth the bolt. Gently bend the pipe to form a semi circle and bold down the other end.
I use sheer fabric curtains I get from goodwill to form the covers,using the arches as support. I hold them in place with some simple clips. You can uses clear plastic over the arches to warm up the soil in early spring,too.
Give it a try.


No comments:
Post a Comment