So this week was particularly busy around here...nothing specific , just a bunch of small tasks that pilled up into a mountain of catch up work. So I did little in the garden except clear a bit of the future tomato row, and water on a couple of mornings. I just walked out to the garden today in the evening, to discover almost all my seeds sprouted and a happy healthy garden. My system of newspaper weed preventer is working very well ( directions below)! And tomorrow,I turn my attention to our front yard flower beds, which my new neighbor across the street gently hinted need attention. She is fully justified,I'm afraid. This year I am planning on planting some veggies out there, especially hot peppers,since they are sun lovers, pretty when they fruit, and low on care if I get bush varieties. Plus I think I'll pay more attention to the front if I have the possibility of eating for my efforts!
So if you want to read on,here is what I did with the newspapers. I saved up quite a pile, and wet them pretty well. I figured out that if I folded the newspaper (keeping it closed) in thirds, I would have a good way of spacing out my seed rows,and a way to keep the weeds down. I used a whole section of paper, at least 5 pages thick.
I also planted some baby lettuces, and spaced these rows by folding the paper in half. Then, I also used additional paper folded in thirds to place under and in between each plant. I also think my row covers help to keep the newspaper in place, but I watch it to see if I need to weight it down a bit with some soil or give the garden a watering.
For the bigger crops to come, I will use a full unopened paper. Enjoy the garden this week!
No comments:
Post a Comment