Warning: those of us who garden can tend towards weird obsessions, and this is one of them: compost. Don't be alarmed, though. Compost is just stuff from the garden turned back into the garden to keep it growing. We want to get the soil healthy. Vital and strong soil leads to vital and strong plants, leads to vital and strong harvests, and leads to vital and strong people (see I warned you about obsessions)!
Anyhow, instead of going to the big box store for bags of costly and chemical full soil,why not make your own ? For practically nothing? Dare to be weird. Put worms in your kitchen. For the last few seasons, I have had a big mulch pile out back and did nothing much to it except add leaves and plant leftovers (plus coffee grounds and clean egg shells), turn it once in a blue moon, and wait. I still have one, but I am finding the kitchen worm compost bin so much easier. I don't have to make daily trips to the pile anymore. I just feed the worms my chopped up bits of carrot tops, pepper stems, egg shells, and onion skins, ect. They are feeding like champs and making beautiful rich castings I will soon be feeding my garden.Here are photos of my bin, made from (cleaned) cat litter containers. I sent away for the worms...so should you!


No comments:
Post a Comment