Friday, April 22, 2011

Can you can?

Today is bad garden weather, so I am posting about home canning.
I started to make my own jams years ago as an attempt at making Christmas presents when we were too broke to buy. This was an unusual thing for me to do, as no one I knew canned. The puzzled looks we got that Christmas were unforgettable, as the recipients were not sure if my efforts were o.k. to eat, since my jam did not come from a store. Now, my family begs for the stuff, and I can't make enough! I only do water bath canning (no pressure cooker) , which means that I can do jams,jellies,compotes, marmalades, pickles and tomatoes (no low acid veggies,no meat).

Starting canning is expensive at the beginning, because you will need to buy some things especially for canning. Some online companies sell "kits," which are convenient for the beginning canner. You can go to the library to read up on home canning, and youtube has lots of how to videos to watch.The best results come when you are able to get very,very fresh (picked the day you plan to can) local produce to work with. Be sure to check out my link list to start your research.

No comments:

Post a Comment