In keeping with my theme of frugal gardening, here are a few things I have done to save some cash:
- I have found that several materials usually used in construction are great for the garden. I use a concrete reinforcing grid to grow my peas on. It has lasted three seasons thus far . I also use concrete reinforcing rods to aid my bamboo tomato stakes. Sturdy and cheap. Part of my fence, as regular readers know, was donated by my generous neighbor, & was originally used by a construction company in a demolition project. Ugly, true, but it has lasted well and was free!
- I have a plastic shelving unit in my shed. I divided it in half (two shelves each). The holes in the shelves are perfect for standing/storing rakes ect. I have large plastic buckets (again from construction) to store things that won't fit in the shelves.
- My outdoor mulch pile is bordered by some shipping pallets rescued from the trash by my patient son-in-law.
- Every fall, I keep an eagle eye out for those huge bags of leaves people intend to throw out and I snatch them for my mulch pile.
- I save those little packets that come in shoe boxes. They are great for keeping seeds dry.
No comments:
Post a Comment