Saturday, November 5, 2011

Season extender!

So riffing off the blog "wizbang" (see link for row covers), I made my own row cover system. I used 10 foot pieces of 1/2 inch pvc pipe which I cut in half with a small hack saw. Then, I got 24 inch long  pieces of 2 inch pipe, and cut those in thirds (result,,,8 inch long pieces). Then, I drilled a hole through both ends of the five foot pieces about 2 inches from the edges, and one hole through the 8 inch pieces about 2 inches in also. I pounded one 8 inch piece into the ground on the left hand side of the row, and then one on the right. I placed a five foot piece inside the 8 inch piece, and placed a thin bolt through the holes, then fastened with a nut to prevent the bolt from slipping out. I bent the pipe over to the other side ,and bolted it,too. Since I couldn't figure out how to drill the holes in the long pieces so that when they bent the holes lined up, I sometimes had to turn the smaller pieces in the earth to match the holes up. So some of the bolts face different ways. But they work anyhow. I then covered the resulting hoops with "frost cloth," and clipped it to the hoops with plastic vices I bought at the big box store for 7 dollars. They were different sizes, but worked anyhow! Total cost  for a row three feet wide and about 15 feet long,  including the saw and enough left over to do another row, 35 dollars ( or 17.50 per row). These should last a few seasons at least,but let's see if the kale, spinach, and lettuces pay me back in harvest!

No comments:

Post a Comment