It has been so hot and humid here in south jersey that I come in from the garden literally dripping. So I have confined myself to harvesting and watering. See my photo of today's harvest below! In the mean time, August is soon here. The days of reasonable gardening weather are few. And most of my garden is getting ready to quit. So I am reading about fall gardening. This is not something I usually do, my gardening energy decreasing in direct proportion to the increasing humidity. Stay tuned.
I am saving seeds and planning for next spring. The most successful tomatoes seem to be the Italian (plum) variety. They have not been bothered by the heat; they have not wilted even a little bit . They have produced beautiful, regular, delicious fruit. The least successful are the big ones. They are huge, but they wilt, crack easily, and grow in irregular shapes. They also seem to attract the most pests.The spray I use (see my last post) keeps the bugs at bay now, but the big tomato plants have not recovered. So I will save seeds from the best plants for next year. Today's tip: many seeds are now on sale at a big discount. Grab the heritage organic varieties, stick 'em in a Ball jar with a packet of silica (you saved those, didn't you?), and shove them in a cool ,dry,dim,spot . Happy eating!

No comments:
Post a Comment