The rare hurricane combined with a eastern-headed cold front combined with the high tide has the entire east coast in a tizzy.
I am rejoicing, because it gives me an excuse to sit down after days and days of furious canning...the advantage and disadvantage of living near farms selling abundant last harvests of green and red peppers, jalapenos, plum tomatoes and green tomatoes, ect... But my proud pantry is now groaning with sauces,pickles,jellies, jams...and strings of peppers drying,too!
As for my own garden, it is an unadulterated mess. I am thinking of hiring some people to come and help me re configure my raised rows into true raised beds..lots of work...but I am still satisfied with my gardening efforts every time I remember the taste of those fresh picked veggies. YUMMY!
The front yard, however, is looking good. I am progressing on my strategy of planting perennials until there is no more space for weeds to grow, and thus no more weeding! For some reason, the trend of garden centers selling off their stock at ideal planting time (now) continues apace. Get out your shovels, fans.
And the herb garden is also doing well, and the herbs seem to be the most content when I leave them alone, an arrangement which satisfies us all!
Next: planting in the winter & planning for the spring
No comments:
Post a Comment