Sunday, October 23, 2011

Apples and such

Cool weather is definitely upon us here in south jersey, and so are the early sunsets. But there is still lots to do in the garden,including getting ready for next spring. But I couldn't resist a trip to buy some apples (you pick it farms having shut down for the season). I took a lovely drive, got lost, and finally found the place. Got some delicious Macoun apples I will be turning into pie filling, applesauce,and juice tomorrow. What a delicious variety! Having perused the pickyourown web site, I read through the list of stands to find one that had a large variety of apples for sale by the case. Not knowing many of the varieties, I bought one of each and got to tasting! The cashier , who must have been the owners' daughter, looked at me like I was crazy (an accurate diagnosis). Anyhow, the day was fun from start to finish.
Today I happened upon a yard sale, and picked up a book for a dollar. I am going to give you the entire  information so you can keep a lookout for one. After a quick read,I am finding it very helpful! It is not exactly an organic guide,but if you ignore any chemicalishness (I made that word up) the rest is very good:
"Month-by month Gardening in New Jersey", copyright by author, Pegi Ballister-Howells, 2005. Cool Spring Press, Nashville Tenn.,publishers. You can find it on line for about 14.00.                  

No comments:

Post a Comment